We created a user-centric site for the Order of Optometrists of Quebec, with membership registration and renewal features for optometrists, essential health information and a complaints process for patients, and onboarding information for students and candidates. The project helped transform the Order from a paper-oriented organization to a digital organization.
The Order of Optometrists of Quebec (l'Ordre des optométristes du Québec) is a professional standards association for optometrists practicing in Québec. They provide continuing education, discipline, and training for optometrists to ensure compliance with Québec’s rules for practicing optometry. The Order conducts inspections and investigates complaints, ensuring that the public is not misled by individuals who may make false claims about providing eye care services.
The Order tasked Evolving Web with creating a new Drupal 8 website that provided a better user experience for site visitors and filled the gaps missing in the membership workflow. The Order needed to add functionality to their website to better support their members and the public. They also wanted to improve the overall brand experience, and bring the site up-to-date with mobile-friendly practices.
The main challenge for the Drupal 8 website was integration with the Sigma, the Order's membership management solution. Synchronizing member data and validating each member's continuing education credits required detail-oriented API customizations. We had to be careful to validate data correctly in Drupal so that it could be added safely to Sigma. We created tests and worked in conjunction with the Sigma team. We even helped the Sigma team improve their API to make future integrations more seamless.
- A new Drupal 8 website with a refreshed design that is responsive for mobile, tablet and desktop devices
- A user interface builds on the existing brand of the organization
- Improved access to information for the public
- Geolocation of clinics, allowing users to quickly "Search for an Optometrist" in their location
- Migration of key content from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8
- A member dashboard that allows members to see their progress in their continuing education and easy access to user-friendly membership registration and renewal forms
- Approval process for credits, allowing the Order to easily verify member qualifications
- Business registration process, allowing the Order to validate businesses effiiciently
- Tool providing assistant optometrists with the ability to access and update personal information
- A global search feature powered by Apache Solr
- Integration with the Order's customer relationship management (CRM) tool, Drupal, and Sigma, to enable sending digital credits to members to verify their accomplishments
The Order had been using Drupal 7 for the previous version of their website and wanted to build on the great experience they had with the platform. Using Drupal, we were able to handle integrations with the Order's CRM and the Sigma API. And as additional requirements arise, Drupal is flexible enough to adapt.
In the analytics, we see that users are able to find the most important information more quickly, and members are able to quickly locate how to do their top tasks. The updated visual identity resonates with members and the marketing and communications team can easily publish new content that looks great and is inline with the brand.
We were able to eliminate the manual tasks the Order's staff had to do previously to maintain and renew memberships. At the same time, the tighter integration with Sigma improved the user experience for members by automating portions of the continuing education process and the process for updating personal and clinic information.
The project was a great success and we continue to provide ongoing support, maintenance, and feature improvements for the Order.