Santé Montérégie provides health services across the Montérégie region. It includes several sub-regions, each with its own set of hospitals, clinics, and programs. The organization came to us with a vision to create a web platform that consolidates the information from the sub-regions into a single web experience. Evolving Web helped Santé Montérégie translate this vision into an effective user experience and information architecture. We created a user interface language that could be rolled out across all the entire platform, and then developed the platform in Drupal 8.
In this case, the client came to us with some initial wireframes. We did an assessment of their audiences’ needs and priorities and worked with them to adapt and improve on their original information architecture. The result is an interface that is more inline with user expectations and user experience best practices.
This project had the ambitious goal of modernizing and consolidating multiple web platforms into a single online point of service for residents. The goal was to reduce the confusion about which website to consult to find information about local services, while also allowing residents to find services from other sub-regions. At the same time, we wanted to reduce the overhead of the sub-regions, which previously had to maintain their own infrastructure and content.
These were the project goals:
- Use an open source platform to create a brand new experience, replacing the existing region-specific websites
- Create clear and consistent service-listing pages
- Provide a location-based service locator
- Create a fully bilingual interface, with all content in French and translations of all the interface and some for the content into English
- Build a mobile-first, responsive solution
- Follow SEO best practices that incorporate meta tags
- Conform to WCAG AA accessibility standards
- Balancing the preferences and priorities of various stakeholders across the organization
- Building out a new digital language in-line with governmental regulations to provide a more modern look
- Implementing a fully accessible design with a rich color-palette
- Built a new Drupal 8 website
- Adjusted the navigation and user experience proposed in the project brief
- Created a digital style guide to translate the Santé Montérégie’s brand
- Created an in-depth style guide
- Created full mockups based on the wireframes provided
- Integrated a services search that allows residents to find services by location
- Created content that can be updated easily by content editors in each sub-region in both English and French
- Configured to allow for fully bilingual (English/French) content and navigation
- Created an optimized, responsive site that works with all types of devices (computer, tablet, mobile)
By taking a fully mobile-first approach, we were able to design an interface that is much more adapted to user needs, streamline the content available on each page. We worked with all the stakeholders across the Montérégie to create an information architecture that balances the importance of local services, with the need to find services from other sub-regions.
We integrated with postal code and territorial data provided by the client to create a point-of-service finder for residents to locate services near them.
We created a custom content moderation workflow to allow staff from each sub-region to edit their own content.
As part of the mandate, we trained Santé Montérégie staff so they can maintain the functionality of the website independently, and so that they were able to gain an understanding the platform’s features and architecture throughout the build process. We also trained the organization’s communications staff so that they would be able to create visually-rich accessible content. We organized the training early in the process so that we could incorporate feedback from these training sessions back into the final product.