Evolving Web partnered with the Linux Foundation to deliver a Drupal-based device certification workflow for the AllJoyn®, an emerging Internet of Things (IoT) technical standard that is backed by the AllSeen Alliance, a consortium of 180 major hardware manufacturers and industry players that includes Qualcomm, Microsoft, LG, and Sony.
This was a major Drupal 7 intranet portal that allowed manufacturers to create an account, select an Authorized Laboratory, and submit hardware device specifications, test results, and associated documents into a complex multi-party workflow whose successful completion would allow them to advertise their products as AllJoyn® certified.
In the course of the project, Evolving Web implemented a custom certification workflow designed by domain experts in hardware testing and certification. There were a number of unique challenges that we overcame to successfully deliver the solution on time.
- Develop a customized interface to allow manufacturers to submit products for review
- Workflow for each product to go through to get approval from technical experts
- Implementing and tracking customized states and transitions for each type of data (products, manufacturers, etc)
- Implementing detailed technical specifications, provided by AT4 Wireless
- Updating the workflow as the specifications changed
- Complex access control scheme (node grants), reflecting the role of each user and related company, and the state of each document
- Extensive use of the Form API and Ajax framework
- Custom fields and display handlers
- Custom views relationship to show the latest approved revision entity
- Email notifications and task tracking
- CAS based SSO (single sign-on) scheme
- HelloSign API integration
- Using docker to provide all team members a uniform development environment
- Coordination with Linux Foundation's deployment team
- Running an agile development process, with regular client demos and feedback
- The process for product certification is now part of a stream-lined online process
- Administrators can review what happens at each point in the certification of a given product
- Manufacturers can easily create accounts and submit products
- Authorized labs can review products, test results, and view associated documents online
- The workflow can be modified as the certification process is further refined